The Caps hit first: Nick Dodd dives in to take a shot in a hurry. The Panthers equalized less than three minutes after Ryan Lomberg.
Early in the third half, Niklas Backstrom executed an expert swerve to give Washington their second lead of the night, which evaporated seven minutes later when Claude Giroud netted a quick goal.
Five minutes and forty-three seconds left, Alexander Barkov grabbed a corner kick to put the Panthers ahead. The Capitals were 63 seconds away from elimination when Anthony Mantha and TJ O’Shea played ping pong in the tuck to equalize the match and impose overtime.
Carter Verheg won it in overtime.
lose caps. Florida wins the series four games to two.
- The Capitals started the game in physical terms, leveling a large number of strikes early on. I won’t mention the number to you because I don’t trust the stat keepers on hits, but I do remember an aphorism: Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. And the answer is yes.
- In terms of, I think, with their aggressive play in the first period, the Hats definitely dominated the disc really well. But they run out of gas shortly after the break, when the flow of the game is reduced to an uncomfortable degree. It became less like the first game, rather more like the fifth.
- Alex Ovechkin He led the Hats in strikes early in the match, including one monster hit on Aaron Ekblad, who briefly left the game but returned. But Ovechkin did not take a shot on goal until the third half, when the Panthers really closed defensively.
- I made sure to promote the fourth line earlier this week, so I feel very relieved about that Nick Dodd You must be the hero of the moment. Dodd scored on a rebound, and seemed to think his original shot went in – watch it Celebrate for a while before scoring the actual goal here.
Inferno of Dodd attempt who hit the iron, then scored a rebound to lift the hats 1-0 pic.twitter.com/t5qQ9dvMHV
– Shayna (@hayyyshayy) May 14, 2022
- Dodd also contacted the captain right before Barkoff scored the green light for Florida.
- Martin Ferrari And John Carlson He made poor defensive decisions against Lumberburg. I definitely wish they could pull back a bit, especially when the caps protect the bullets. Incidentally, Lomberg stepped into the lineup for Anthony Duclerc, which was a surprise scratcher. I think Duclair is injured. I can’t imagine pulling off a top scorer with 30 goals otherwise.
- Ilya Samsonov That streak was great, but the failure to stop Claude Giroud’s relatively simple shot when he took a one-goal lead in the third was shrinking in a way I hadn’t felt since Michel Noverth in the 2011 qualifiers.
- He scored a tie in the third half. TJ O’Shea He achieved his sixth goal in the series. He is a killer. I loved the Ovechkin celebration.
We love Walton, but recover soon, Joe B.
– Good tweet Pete (@peterhassett) May 13, 2022
That was a very difficult series – and a very difficult season. Washington Capital has exceeded expectations, but it is hard to avoid the impression that it has little left in the tank in the end. They are old, and they struggle to stay mobile. They have impressive offensive weapons, but with these weapons come defensive weaknesses that teams like Florida exploit easily.
The team’s outlook can change very quickly in this league. Remember how dreary Florida looked in 2018? But the path from here – the fourth consecutive exclusion of Washington – to a real disagreement is not clear to me. Within the organization, I’m not sure what the expectations of this team are anymore. Are They Regular Season Fan Club “Just Get More Goals On Ovi”?
I don’t know, and I’m obviously angry, so let me finish with some positive notes. This runaway streak was much better than what Washington offered. Even in defeat, they have a lot to be proud of. They came so close to pushing the President’s Cup winners over the edge.
Thanks for reading RMNB. Now you know we’re not going anywhere. We have at least four games seven (known universally as “gays sev”) this weekend, so keep watching and let’s watch, I don’t know, like, either the Rangers or the Penguins get their hearts broken. This will make us happy, right?
Banner photo: pennybacker