You have to avoid injuries, disruptions, and total wear for a 13-game schedule, especially if you’re playing in the SEC. So if you’re going to stage a college football game, it’s going to take years of elite-level recruiting, a near-perfect season, and a huge amount of luck and interruptions along the way.
So, if Georgia were to return for another playoff under coach Kirby Smart, what would be the bigger key? Well, it’s pretty simple, it’s the timeline.
ESPN fired their way too early, and take a look at what Georgia’s opponents wear in 2022:
- number 16 Oregon September 3, Atlanta, Georgia
- Samford September 10 Athens, Georgia
- @South Carolina September 17, Columbia, South Carolina
- Kent State September 24, Athens, Georgia
- @ Missouri October 1, Columbia, Missouri
- Auburn October 8, Athens, Georgia
- Vanderbilt October 15 Athens, Georgia
- Shutdown October 22
- Florida October 29, Jacksonville, Florida
- No. 24 Tennessee November 5, Athens, Georgia
- @ Mississippi November 12 Starkville, MS
- number 22 @ Kentucky November 19, Lexington, Kentucky
- Georgia Tech November 26, Athens, Georgia
- SEC Championship December 3, Atlanta, Georgia
Not exactly other than killers. Although the same could have been said of the 2021 schedule outside Clemson before Arkansas and Kentucky turned into competitions worth visiting at College Gameday.
Three ranked opponents, only one of them on the road, and the season’s kickoff against the highly ranked opponent on the table in Oregon will come at a “neutral” location here in Atlanta, Georgia.
SEC West Crossover opponents in Auburn are in a rebuilding and Mississippi couldn’t get much easier for Bulldogs in 2022.
Go to follow
Then you can take a look at the rest of SEC East. Tennessee and Kentucky are two programs on the rise with elite quarterbacks Hendon Hooker and Will Levis playing respectfully. However, on paper Georgia will likely be favorites at least in all of the regular season’s games.
So if Georgia can do what they did in 2021, which was avoiding upsets on the way to a regular undefeated season, no matter what happens in the SEC, their ticket to the CFP will be punched.
Enjoy a relatively easy schedule right now for Georgia fans because Kirby Smart has stacked up more non-conference roster than any team in the country.
You may also like:
Join the community
Follow Brooks Austin on Twitter: Tweet embed
Subscribe to our YouTube page here
sYou can follow us for future coverage by clicking “Follow” in the upper right corner of the page. Also be sure to like us on Facebook @BulldogMaven and follow us on Twitter at Tweet embedogsSI.