D’Tigers scramble for a place in World Cup qualifiers as FG lifts ban

The federal government has rescinded its decision to suspend Nigerian basketball teams from all international competitions for two years.

The Permanent Minister of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development Ismail Abubakar revealed this at a press conference in Abuja on Thursday.

Abubakar said the decision was based on an appeal letter received from the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF).


Read also:

Mali replaces Nigeria in FIBA ​​World Cup after FG basketball ban

Basketball: Group denies alleged $2.2 million scandal against Omar

World Cup: D’Tigress accuses Nigerian leaders of corruption as FIBA ​​threatens more sanctions

– ads –

Lise Campig denies using racial slur in Nigeria’s D’tigress


The National Basketball Association promised in the letter to resolve the issues that precipitated the government’s decision to withdraw the country’s basketball teams from international competitions, including the World Cup.

The appeal letter also decisively made some key pledges – to immediately begin the process of reviewing the situation or constitutional amendments from stakeholders as compiled by the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development.

“To form a high-level team to reconcile all the competing parties in the basketball family at home and abroad, and to commit to working with the ministry in the governance and development of basketball among other things,” Abu Bakr said.

In response to the news, Nigeria’s men’s national basketball team (D’Tigers) said they are “scrambling” to see if they can take part in next week’s Basketball World Cup qualifiers in Rwanda, while also expressing hope that the women’s team (D’Tigers) ‘Tigress) at the World Cup.

“It took our voices and our community to make this change… that should never have gotten to this point,” D’Tigers said in a tweet.

It should be noted that the Fédération Internationale de Basketball has replaced Nigeria’s Nigerian basketball team D’Tigress with the Mali national team, following the two-year ban announced by the federal government for the sport.

– ads –

“Given the multiple strict deadlines that cannot be postponed in order to ensure the successful preparation of a major international event, Nigeria’s withdrawal from the 2022 FIBA ​​Women’s Basketball World Cup has been confirmed.

FIBA announced earlier this month: “Mali, as the next seeded team from Group B in the FIBA ​​Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022 Qualifier Tournament in Belgrade, is invited to participate in the FIBA ​​2022 Women’s Basketball World Cup.” .

The NBB crisis began in 2017 after two parallel electoral conferences were held in Kano and Abuja which resulted in partial councils headed by Tijani Omar and Musa Kedah.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: