Tiger Woods rejected the “amazing” LIV offer that was accepted by Phil Mickelson

On the same day that Phil Mickelson finally joined the new spin-off LIV Golf series, Tiger Woods turned down a figure of around A$1 billion to follow suit, proving either Woods doesn’t need the cash or he cares too much about his legacy on the PGA Tour. Or maybe a bit of both.

Aussie and LIV CEO Greg Norman made a startling confession in a fiery interview with The Washington Post titled, “The Shark Attacks Again.” And the boy smells blood. In the article, Jack Nicklaus accused of being a hypocrite, Rory McIlroy of allowing himself to be “brainwashed” and targeting the PGA Tour for “conspiring against the LIV to protect an antiquated system that prevents golfers from realizing their strength and value amid the global movement to empower athletes”.

Woods has spoken out against the controversial Saudi-backed project several times, but only now has it been revealed how much money the tournament organizers are throwing away. It came from Norman himself.



RELATED: Dustin Johnson leads the golf league’s lineup

“It[the proposal]was astonishingly massive,” Norman said. “We’re talking about nine numbers high.”

Norman, who had spent most of his adult life living in the USA, was speaking in US dollars, opening the possibility of Woods being offered more than A$1 billion to play in the new league. professional service company Kroll It is estimated that Woods has earned over $2.5 billion in his career to date and will make over $60 million annually until he turns 50 in four years.

Woods doesn’t exactly need the cash, but none of the golfers who joined him do either. Dustin Johnson, Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer are all millionaires, as is Mickelson despite his severe gambling struggles.

Based on Woods’ earlier public interpretation, his rejection of LIV Golf is based on loyalty to the PGA Tour and its history, going back to 1968 in modern iteration. It also follows Nicklaus saying no to a seven-figure bid to be the face of the new tournament.

“I believe in the big leagues,” Woods said in May.



“I believe in big events, comparisons to historical figures from the past. There is a lot of money out there. The Tour is growing. But it’s like any other sport. It’s like tennis. You have to go there and win it. You have to go out there and play for it. We have the opportunity to go on.” Go ahead and do it. It just isn’t guaranteed up front.”

The LIV Golf Series Invitational begins June 9 with a three-day 54-hole course at the Centurian Club in London. The 48-man field is star-studded, even if it doesn’t include Woods or McIlroy.

Organizers have targeted a affluent audience and ticket sales have been disappointing so far, even with artists Craig David and James Morrison at the top of the evening entertainment list. Arlo White, who Ted Lasso fans know from the hit TV show, will be the main commentator after leaving NBC in the USA.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: