A boy dies at the center of a court battle in the UK after life support ends

London – A 12-year-old boy who had been in a coma for four months died Saturday in a London hospital after doctors finished the life-sustaining treatment his family had struggled with.

Archie Battersby’s mother, Holly Dance, said her son died at 12:15 p.m., about two hours after the hospital began withdrawing treatment. British courts have rejected the family’s efforts to extend treatment and request Archie’s transfer to a nursing home, saying both steps were not in the best interests of the child.

“I’m the most proud mother in the world,” said Dancing, standing outside the hospital and crying. “What a lovely little kid and he fought to the end.”

The legal battle is the latest in a series of very public British cases in which parents and doctors have argued over who is best qualified to make decisions about a child’s medical care. This has sparked debate as to whether there is a more appropriate way to settle such disputes outside of the courts.

Archie was found unconscious at home with bandages on his head on April 7. His parents thought he might have been participating in an online challenge that went wrong.

Doctors concluded Archie died of a brainstem shortly after the accident and sought to end a long list of treatments that kept him alive, including artificial respiration, medications to regulate bodily functions and around-the-clock nursing care. But his family objected, claiming Archie showed signs of life and didn’t want them to lose hope.

The feud sparked weeks of legal controversy as Archie’s parents sought to force the hospital to continue life-sustaining treatments. Doctors at the Royal London Hospital argued that there was no chance of a cure and that he should be allowed to die.

After a series of courts ruled that it was in Archie’s best interest that he be allowed to die, the family requested permission to move him to a shelter. The hospital said Archie’s condition was so unstable that his transfer would hasten his death.

On Friday, Supreme Court Justice Lucy Theiss rejected the family’s request, ruling that Archie must remain in hospital while treatment is withdrawn.

In her decision, Theiss wrote: “Their unconditional love and devotion to Archie is a golden thread running through this case.” “I hope now Archie will be given the opportunity to die in peaceful conditions, with the family who meant as much to him as he clearly does to them.”

That ruling was implemented on Saturday after both the UK Court of Appeal and the European Court of Human Rights declined to hear the case.

But Archie’s family said his death was not peaceful.

Ella Carter, the fiancé of Archie’s older brother, Tom, said Archie was stable for about two hours after the hospital stopped all medication. That changed when the ventilator was turned off, she said.

“It just turned completely blue,” she said. “There is absolutely nothing respectful in watching a family member or a child choke. No family should go through what we have been through. It is barbaric.”

Carter rested her head on Dance’s shoulder and sobbed as the two women hugged.

The hospital offered its condolences and thanked the doctors and nurses who took care of Archie.

“They have provided high-quality care with extraordinary compassion over many months, often in difficult and traumatic conditions,” said Alistair Chaeser, chief medical officer of Barts Health NHS Trust, which runs the hospital. This tragic case not only affected the family and his caretakers, but touched the hearts of many across the country. ”

Legal experts insist that cases like Archie’s are rare. But some controversies over doctors’ ruling against families’ wishes have been fought in the public eye, such as the 2017 legal battle over Charlie Jard, an infant with a rare genetic disorder. The parents fought unsuccessfully for an experimental treatment before his death.

Under British law, it is common for courts to step in when parents and doctors disagree about a child’s medical treatment. The best interests of the child take precedence over the parents’ right to decide what they think is best.

Elora Finley, a professor of palliative medicine at Cardiff University and a member of the House of Lords, said this week she hoped the Conservative government would conduct an independent investigation into the different ways these cases are handled. She said that resolving such disputes through adversarial court procedures does not help anyone.

“Parents don’t want to go to court. Doctors don’t want to go to court. Principals don’t want to go to court,” Finley told Radio Times. To manage communication between doctors and parents.

Finley said the difficulty parents face is that they are in shock and often want to deny that a catastrophic brain injury has occurred.

“When there is a brain injury, their child often looks healthy, so their face looks the same as it always did,” she said. “So understanding what happened inside the brain and the extent of the injury is something that needs sensitive explanation to parents, and that takes time.”

Archie’s family has been supported by the Christian organization, which campaigns for end-of-life issues and the role of religion in society. The group said it was a “privilege” to stand by the family.

“The events of the past few weeks raise many important issues including questions about how death is defined, how these decisions are made, and where the family is,” said Andrea Williams, chief executive of Christian Concern.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: