The Cardinals are the first team in MLB history to win five Golden Gloves in a single season
Street. Louis – The St. Louis Cardinals set an MLB record with five Gold Glove awards in one season. The winners were announced Sunday night at the Rawlings Gold Glove Awards show.
Three players and two players were awarded the Golden Gloves Sunday night, the most for a single team in a single season since the awards were first handed out in 1957. The Cardinals winners were:
- Paul Goldschmidt’s first policeman – fourth of his career
- Tommy Adman’s second policeman – the first of his career
- Third Main Man Nolan Arenado – Ninth of his career
- Left player Tyler O’Neill – second in his career
- Midfielder Harrison Bader – His first career
The Golden Glove Awards honor the best defenders at every position in every league. According to Major League Baseball, major league managers and coaches, who vote only within their own league and are unable to vote for players on their own teams, account for 75 percent of the selection process. The remaining 25 percent goes to the sounding medicine community.
Goldschmidt won his first gold glove since 2017. Cardinals Hall of Famer Keith Hernandez has the record for first baseman with 11 wins.
Arenado continued his historic run by claiming his ninth consecutive NL Golden Glove at third base. Phillies legend and Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt have been tied for most consecutive NL Gold Gloves by a third baseman. Brooks Robinson has won 16 in a row in the MLS.
The Cardinals have now won the NL Gold Glove runner-up for three consecutive years, with Edman taking the crown from his old teammate, Kolten Wong.
The last time the Cardinal won three Golden Glove winners across the field was in 2002 when Fernando Fina, Scott Rollin and Edgar Renteria won the championships.
2021 was the first year that Cardinalan won the Golden Glove Awards. O’Neill is the first Cardinal to win two consecutive awards since Jim Edmonds won five in a row from 2000 to 2004.
The Cardinals have won four times in their history, most recently in 2003 when Mike Matheny, Edgar Renteria, Rollin and Jim Edmunds each won. They also won four Gold Gloves in 2002 and 1963.
The Cardinals had six nominations entering the night. Catcher Yadier Molina was the only finalist to come empty-handed in 2021. He was going for his 10th career in the Gold Glove.
The Five Golden Gloves came in a season in which the Cardinals were easily ranked as the best defensive team in the National League. According to archived defensive statistics compiled by the Fielding Bible, the Cardinal’s defense saved 81 runs in 2021, more than the next best teams in the NL, the Milwaukee Brewers and Colorado Rockies, who each saved 61.