ASK A COP – Why do some officers allow certain traffic tickets? – Port Arthur News

ASK A COP – Why do some officers allow certain traffic tickets?

Posted at 12:05 am Tue Nov 22 2022

Alvin of Orange asks: Why do some police officers allow traffic violations to happen right in front of them and not respond? I don’t think you would allow this to happen, so why would others?

Answer: It would be very difficult, almost impossible, for me to defend the actions of another officer, or, in your opinion, the lack of them, if I were not present. There may be many reasons for officers not responding to violations that occur. First, there’s a good possibility that he didn’t see that happen. Just because you saw it, doesn’t necessarily mean the officer saw it. There is an almost constant connection on the police radio and the in-vehicle computer which has an officer almost always busy. Some officers do not have time to stop and process traffic violations if they are already heading to an attack or a fight is in progress. I cannot handle all the violations that occur in my presence. If that was the case, I would never go anywhere. I will stay in the same place. Keep in mind that traffic violations happen somewhere all the time and in all cities. Many officials may choose to only tackle the crimes that, in their opinion, are most harmful to the motoring community.

asks Tira from Port Arthur: Is it illegal to drive 75 mph on a spare tire? My cousin goes everywhere without replacing this tire. Act like this is the original tire of his car.

Answer: We all know that a round tyre/spare tire is designed to be run for a temporary period, until you can get the replacement tyre fixed. If I’m not mistaken, the maximum recommended safe speed for a donut/spare is 45mph. So in my opinion your cousin is a road hazard if he’s traveling on a donut tire at 75mph. Yes, this is a violation. This is an unsafe speed because this tire is not rated for that kind of speed. As you know with me, safety comes first on our roads, and if your cousin is putting a lot of confidence in a spare round tire by pushing it 30mph over his maximum safe speed, he’s not too concerned about his or any other driver’s safety on our roads.

Glo from Port Arthur asks: My daughter recently got a ticket for not giving her the right of way from a stop sign, and I’ve been looking for a defensive driving class to go to before a court date. I don’t want this to go on her driving record because my insurance premium will likely go up. Do you know of any local class here that she can attend?

Answer: I’m sure many other readers raising teens and young adults have experienced the dilemma you’re facing. Having a child receive a citation for an impactful offense really threatens to increase your insurance premium. But first I must slow you down a bit in attending class before going to court. If you do this you will find yourself in a difficult situation, meaning that when you receive a citation from a police officer, you are required to go to court first. You will need to go to court first and you will also need to request your daughter’s driving record from the State of Texas. Once you have obtained permission from the court to take a defensive driving course, you can then continue with the course. Remember, the state of Texas allows a motorist to take a safe driving course only once a year, and if she takes the course before a court gives her permission, she will use her opportunity to take the course. So wait for the court to give her instructions. In the classes you will attend and which you have asked about, I am not at liberty to suggest any class. You will need to contact the court to obtain this information. I will tell you that the state even allows an online defensive driving course. I hope this is an eye opener for your daughter.

Join me, Officer Ricky Antoine and CREW Stephen “Buzzard Boots” Mosley, Lelo “mouth of Hwy 69/73” I Washington, and Tejas “Lil Man” Morning Star for Ask A Cop live, on KSAP 96.9 FM Radio Breeze, every Tuesday from 1-3 p.m. or follow us at Feel free to call with a direct question at 409-982-0247. Ask a question via TEXT at 409-748-6106. Email your questions to or call 409-983-8673 for a voicemail. Mail it to: Ofc. Rickey Antoine, 645 4th Street, Port Arthur, Texas, 77640. If you come across me in public, you can always “ask the cop!”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: